We take our obligations and responsibilities seriously and our policies are compliant with the data protection act 1998 (DPA). For the purposes of DPA, Katy North Academy of Dance is the ‘data controller’.
Contact details: Telephone: 07500875060. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
We may amend this privacy notice from time to time. Please ensure that you check our policies and our term and conditions regularly to make sure you agree with any changes that may have been made. If you do not agree with the changes, please stop using this website and contact us at email@example.com.
Personal data Katy North Academy of Dance collects and uses
Katy North Academy of Dance collects, uses and stores information on computer systems and on paper; information on our secure database is accessed by administrators. It is a requirement that you provide the personal data we request in order for us to manage and run the School. If you do not provide the information we request, we may not be able to provide professional services to you. Information we collect and use includes:
- Contact details: full name of pupil and parent contact details: email address(es), telephone numbers (home and mobile), personal information about persons connected to pupils such as legal guardians/legitimate carers – you must have their authority to provide their information to us;
- Student information: Student’s date of birth (for safeguarding children, examination and other legal requirements); details of student’s medical/special and educational needs where applicable (to ensure safe practice when teaching, for examination entries);
- Optional information: (eg previous dance history, examination board pin numbers already in use by pupils, voluntary feedback). We also may collect information when you voluntarily provide feedback and interact on our social media sites; website usage information is collected using cookies.
Some of the information is required – and used to manage and run the School. Some of the information is optional and is requested to help us better understand our customers’ needs and is used only as needed for the running of the School.
The purpose of processing (obtaining and storing) information
We collect, use and store personal information only as necessary, for the following purposes:
For legitimate interests including
- Contact details: the running of Katy North Academy of Dance and the provision of services to our customers, including lesson and exam planning, registers, invoicing, and to monitor the quality of our service;
- Pupil information: communication of information to teachers in order for them to carry out their roles including in respect of safeguarding and child protection (eg emergency contacts and medical history for health and safety); communications to examination boards in order to enter pupils (names and dates of birth).
- Optional information: used where we have had agreed contact with you and may wish to contact you about events, products/ services and/or news (eg contact details to communicate Katy North Academy of Dance news and information);
to carry out activities based on your consent including for quality monitoring, marketing, publicity, (including on our website and social media pages), for fundraising or other purposes, to help Katy North Academy of Dance and its pupils achieve their goals, including photography and videography of pupils. Cookies are used for the smooth running of our website, to improve our client experience and to monitor page usage.
To comply with legal obligations including:
– compliance with legal and regulatory requirements and related disclosures e.g. work with children and vulnerable groups, HMRC
– exercising your rights under data protection law and making rights’ requests
– verifying your identity under data protection law, other legal and regulatory requirements and related disclosures.
– the establishment and defence of legal claims and rights
You have the ‘right to object’ to legitimate interests relating to you, and can withdraw your consent at any time – see ‘Your Rights’. Please note that withdrawal of consent from one activity does not mean withdrawal from other activities you have given consent to. Withdrawal of consent may affect what we can do for you.
Who we share personal data with
Katy North Academy of Dance does not share information with anyone unless relevant and unless the law and our policies allow us to do so. The school uses personal information and/or shares it with third parties for the following purposes:
- as needed for the running of Katy North Academy of Dance, including communicating with parents/guardians through for example our regular emails and on social media, unless you have specifically objected to this.
- to enter pupils for examinations and/or Performing Arts events (eg International Dance Teachers Association – IDTA)
- if required to do so by law or to comply with legal process (eg courts or tribunals to comply with legal requirements and for the administration of justice, police and law enforcement agencies, the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO)).
- to protect the rights, property, or personal safety of the public emergency services to protect your vital interests
- other parties connected to you where you have given consent to contact them as referees, legal guardians or legitimate carers
- Anyone else where we have your consent or as required by law
How long we hold your information for
We will hold your personal data for as long as necessary to meet the purpose for which it was originally collected. Personal data will be retained as required by law and stored securely. It will then be destroyed and deleted securely when you leave the dance school.
You have the right to withdraw consent for personal data to be retained at any time, unless the data is required for financial and tax return purposes for the HMRC. To withdraw, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
If there is a belief that there is a problem with how their data is handled, please contact Katy North Academy of Dance (email@example.com) in the first instance. You also have the right to complain to the ICO (Information Commissioner’s Office).
Right to be informed:
Right to access your personal information and rectify it:
You have the right to request access to information that is held by Katy North Academy of Dance. To do this, please email Katy at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Right to erasure (the ‘right to be forgotten’):
You have the right to have your data deleted by us when
- Your personal information is no longer necessary for the purposes we originally collected it for.
- You have informed us that you’ve withdrawn your consent and we do not have any legal grounds to continue to hold your data.
- You object to direct marketing from us.
- You object to any of the legitimate interests listed above
- We did not collect your information lawfully
- Where we must comply with legal and regulatory requirements
Your right to erasure may not apply where we hold your information for one of the following reasons:
- to comply with a legal obligation
- for the performance of a task carried out in the public’s interest or in the exercise of official authority
- for the establishment, exercise or defence of legal claims.
Right to restrict processing:
You have the right to request that we only store your personal information but not use it. This right only applies where:
- you contest the accuracy of your personal information and we are working to verify the accuracy of your information
- we did not collect your information lawfully
- we no longer need your personal information, but you need us to keep it to establish, exercise or defend a legal claim
- you have objected (see “right to object”) to us using your personal information and we are considering whether our legitimate grounds override the nature of the objection.
We will not process your restricted information in any way except to store it, unless:
- you give your consent to continue processing it
- it is for the establishment, exercise or defence of a legal claim
- it is for the protection of the rights of another person (natural or legal), or
- it is for reasons of important public interest
Right to object:
You have the right to object to:
- processing based on legitimate interests or the performance of a task in the public interest/exercise of official authority; you must have an objection on ‘grounds relating to your particular situation’. We will stop processing your personal information unless we can demonstrate compelling legitimate grounds for holding your information after considering your rights and expectations and/or it is for the establishment, exercise or defence of a legal claim
- direct marketing (including profiling); we will stop processing your personal information as soon as we receive an objection.
How to contact us and how to complain
For data protection matters, you can contact us by telephone on 07500875060, or by email on email@example.com.
You can complain to us using the details above. You also have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office. It has enforcement powers and can investigate compliance with data protection law: ico.org.uk